To Reduce the Numbers of Law Enforcement Officers
Injured and Killed in the Line of Duty
Through Training and Education
The Police Officers Safety Association, Inc. (POSA) is the training arm of the Disabled Police and Sheriffs Foundation, Inc. (DPSF), a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. (Previously known as American Police and Sheriffs Association, Inc.)
Training is our major focus. POSA produces our own training programs and distributes them free to LE officers, nationwide. Additionally, DPSF offers two, national grant programs:
- Our Disabled Officer Grants provides financial assistance to officers injured in the line of duty
- The Survivors Assistance Program provides assistance to the families of officers killed in the line of duty.
To learn about our training approach, click here.
To access our training programs, click here.
To learn more about the grant programs and how to apply, visit the Disabled Police and Sheriffs Foundation's website.
Every year in the United States,
about 150 police officers are killed in the line of duty.
Every day, 150 officers are assaulted
and 10 are shot at.
Over 180 police officers were killed
while on duty during 2007, the deadliest year
in nearly two decades (except for 2001).
WHAT WE DO
POSA's mission is to increase the safety and effectiveness of law enforcement officers and to enhance the security of our communities by providing free and low-cost training to law enforcement officers. This training is available to all law enforcement officers, nationwide.
While each agency provides quality training to the best of their ability, training budgets are limited. Additional training makes both our law enforcement officers and communities safer. Thousands of officers a month avail themselves of our free training programs.
HOW WE DO IT
POSA's free training is delivered in three ways:
1. Our primary training and education mechanism is through videos. We produce our own law enforcement-specific, full-length (30min to 2.5 hour) video training programs on critical issues and distribute them free. Our videos are hosted on Officer.com, a leading law enforcement web portal, and are free to law enforcement officers nationwide. They are free to view online, or a physical DVD can be purchased for a nominal fee (to cover production and shipping). Subjects include, knife defense, close-quarter shooting, disarming, shotgun skills, force-on-force simulation, active shooter, bombs and suicide bombers, and much more.
2. Shorter video tips (3-5 minutes) are produced and published for a national law enforcement audience also available on Officer.com.
3. Until June 2008, POSA published and distributed the POSA Journal of Tactics and Training, which compiled practical, forward-thinking material on the subject of law enforcement training and officer safety. To ensure broader distribution, we now regularly publish these same kinds of articles, also free to law enforcement, on Officer.com.
POSA is a partner with the Rural Law Enforcement Technology Center, a program of the National Institute of Justice and the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center. Together, we distribute POSA training programs to law enforcement agencies across the United States.
POSA and the Massachusetts Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors and Armorers Association have partnered to produce the Force-on-Force Simulation Instructor program. This course is approved by the Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee (the Massachusetts POST body.) MLEFIAA also sells DVDs of POSA programs for a nominal fee.
POSA is a strategic partner with Officer.com the leading source for current law enforcement information of all kinds.